However, only a few of them know about the teeth whitening ingredients being used in the products.
Although most of the over-the-counter whitening kits are considered safe for use, but it is wiser to educate yourself about what you are applying to your teeth.
Common Teeth Whitening Ingredients
- Most teeth whitening treatments and products use carbamide peroxide and hydrogen peroxide for bleaching purpose. Carbamide peroxide is a combination of urea and hydrogen peroxide with 1/3 of hydrogen peroxide power. One may experience teeth sensitivity and gum discomfort when being exposed to high level of peroxide. However, these side effects are temporary.Many over-the-counter bleaching products contain low concentration level of peroxide and are safe to be used. For professional in-office bleaching treatment, dentist will apply higher concentration of peroxide (more than 30%) with light energy to whiten the teeth. Therefore, it can deliver faster and better whitening results.
- Sodium Hexametaphosphate, which is also known as sodium polymetaphosphate, is very useful in polishing the yellowish layer on the teeth. Besides that, studies has also shown that it is capable of preventing stains and plaque build up.
- Sodium bicarbonate is also called as baking soda. Most toothpaste include this ingredient because it is a strong bleaching agent. It is good in clearing away tough teeth stains, plaque and hence correcting teeth discoloration.
- Calprox contains the power to polish away stains, bacteria and plaque. Consequently, it whitens the teeth. The great thing is that it is very mild and safe to be used with dentures, bonding, crowns and veneers. However this is a patented ingredient and can be found in certain brand of teeth whitening product only.
- Silica is a type of mineral that is commonly used as teeth whitening ingredients. It can effectively get rid of surface stains, bacterias and pellicles.
- Strontium chloride is a type of salt that can help to remove the germs and bacteria that accumulated and cause teeth discoloration. Research has also proof its ability in reducing teeth sensitivity.
- Potassium nitrate is generally used in anti-sensitive toothpaste because it can help to relieve sensitive teeth discomfort. Nowadays, it is also being added in whitening toothpaste to minimize the painfulness that may cause by bleaching process.
Above are the teeth whitening ingredients commonly found in bleaching products. They are not harmful as long as not being overuse. If you prefer chemical-free ways to polish your teeth, you may try organic teeth whitening products which are more natural and environmental friendly.